Well first off let me congratulate you! This is going to be one of the most exciting times of your life. Your engaged and you want to shout it from the rooftop and then you realize how much you have to do and you think to yourself “what do I even do first?”.
Here are the top 5 things to do first.
1. Spread the News- Tell your friends and close relatives the big news preferably in person or over the phone. One of the biggest taboos is letting close loved ones find out via Facebook or other social media channels. I know your excited but this is big news, share it the right way.
2. Discuss Your Budget – Not just what YOU want your budget to be but what you and your family can realistically afford. The average wedding is now costing $26,000. So before you start making any plans make sure that you have your budget bracket selected. This will help you make the right choices for vendors.
3. Get a Manicure – Everyone is going to be wanting to see that ring and you will also want to be showing it off. So why not give make sure the rest of your hand wont be a distraction from your new bling.
4. Pick a Date & A Place – Selecting a date as well as where you are going to get married and where you will be having your reception is something you want to get started on right away. Trust me it will only get easier from here. By now you should already have your budget set so it will guide you into deciding what location is right for you and your wallet.
5. Guest List – It doesn’t have to be set in stone but you should have a rough estimate of how many guests you want to invite. You may have a set number in your head but once you start adding up all the distant relatives, college friends and your parents acquaintances the list can expand before you know it. So take some time to sit down with both of your families to draw up the guest list. If your dream wedding location only fits 100 people and your guest list is over 200 you may have to rethink your location or cut your list.
That’s it. The top 5 things you need to do first. Once you have this list completed you can rest a little easier and really get started on making your wedding a reality. Happy planning!